Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Hyper-Color Bag.

This summer the Chalfant clan flew to Kentucky for the Senn Family Reunion, aka Rough River, where most all of Dustin's family on his mother's side still reside. At the River we have a long weekend full of boating, tubing, drinking, eating, and very little sleep. This year, however, Dustin's mom, Gay, thought it would be fun to have a little "Christmas at the River". So without telling anyone, even her husband, she packed the car full of items she found from who knows where, things that would be hard to give away at a garage sale. They included, if I can remember right, a flashy gold purse, a comb, some fingernail stuff, a tacky frame or two, a men's tie, some other stuff, and a Hyper-Color bag. For this "Christmas" event all of the ladies drew numbers, and we went in this room, shut the door (which was a rule, made by Gay), and picked our gift.

As the other Aunts and women-in-law were coming out with their fancy gifts, I was certain that there would be nothing good left, until I saw it... a canvas tote bag, in Hyper-Color! Now, for those of us who grew up in the 80s and 90s, we all had, or wished for something Hyper-Color. Since my older brother had the Hyper-Color shirt, that turned from yellow to brown (I know, gross!), and I think he had one that turned purple to pink (don't ask, it was Hyper-Color), I was always jealous. But now I have my Hyper-Color, in tote bag form, and needless to say, it gets used weekly as Zoe and I take our books to and from the library.

So, here's to Gay. For not only making our library trips easy and convenient, but for the opportunity to have some Hyper-Color in my life. Love you!

5 comments:

Ally_C said...

I had shorts like that so I know EXACTLY what you are talking about!!!

One can only hope those NEVER come back in style, for our childrens sakes!!! :)

Christine said...

Oh my word, could you imagine if hyper color came back in style? Yellow to BROWN? Gross! (Of course, yellow and brown were my uniform colors growing up. Thank goodness the eighties are long gone.)

Christine said...

THREE days and you've already let your blog go idle? Seriously KJ...

Janet said...

One man's (in this case, lady's) junk is another's treasure! So glad you found pleasure in the hypercolor bag!
xo Your mtr-in-law :)

The dBs said...

I love the ode to the junk swap! May this inspire many more family gatherings to swap their junk!